Speech and Language Disorders Psychology Essay
Young children can have unclear speech and mispronounce words, but as the children get older they learn how to use their tongue, lips and brain to work in harmony to say difficult and unfamiliar words. For most children speech difficulties pass with time but for some they find it hard so they repeat or pro-long sounds. This can be very hard for children so they can struggle to find ways to avoid using these sounds or words.
A phonological disorder is when a child has a problem with producing sound that is needed for the child to speak. Children with phonological disorder can have problems controlling their rate of speech and can fall behind when learning certain sounds. 2 to 3 year old …show more content…
"Stuttering is also known as Stammering" according to the Irish Stammering Association. Stuttering is when a child repeats or prolongs sounds, syllables, words or phrases. Stuttering is a form of "disfluency" of speech, interrupting the child's flow of speech. According to the American Psychiatric Association "stuttering progresses between the ages of two and seven years, peaking at the age of five" (APA, 2000). A large population survey estimated the incidents of stuttering to be about "3% in children, with boys affected about three times more often than girls". (Craig, Hancock, Tran, Craig & Peters K, 2002).
Genetic factors play a role in the causes of stuttering. According to one major study "heritability accounts for 71% of the variance in the causes of stuttering and the remaining 29% are the result of the environment". (Andrews,