The Legal Drinking Age Of 21 Essay
1. The legal drinking age of 21 has been a topic of discussion since it came out. It is a very controversial topic.
2. I found multiple sources for both sides of this argument. In favor of age 21, I found information written by William DeJong and an organization by the title of Choose Responsibly. Information I found against the age limit was written by Dr. Ruth Engs and an organization that goes by the NIAAA, which stands for National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism.
3. I also found sources that give simple facts, which I found as refreshing neutral parties. For information on the interstate system, I turned to Berkely University. I also received facts on Italy’s underage drinking problems from the European Transportation Safety Council (ETSC).
4. Some say teens naturally overdo it and that’s why the age limit is where it’s at. Let me tell you the real reason the drinking age is 21 and why an age limit isn’t the solution to teenage drunk driving.
History behind the Law
1. In 1956, President Eisenhower signed the Federal Highway Act. Created all US highways and interstates.
2. In 1982, President Reagan created the PCADD Presidential Commission against Drunk Driving. He wanted recommendations on how to decrease the drunk driving epidemic, which resulted in using a legal age limit for drinking to intimidate adult people into abiding by the law. As Choose Responsibly explains, the recommendations backfired and people started…